The Free State Department of Police, Roads and Transport was constituted by the transfer of the Roads, Traffic and Transport Management functions from the previous Department of Public Works, Roads and Transport to the previous Department of Public Safety, Security and Liaison.
Vision, Mission and Values
Contribute towards the creation of a prosperous Free State through the facilitation of the provision of the sustainable community safety, mobility and road infrastructure.
To realise the aforesaid vision, the Department will:
- Monitor oversee and assess police service delivery in the Free State;
- Promote integrated crime prevention initiatives;
- Ensure road safety and an integrated transport system and networks.
In the fulfilment and attainment of its Vision and Mission the Department intends to achieve performance excellence through adherence to the following operational values.
- Openness and transparency
- Value for money
- Knowledge application (courage to learn, change and innovate)
- Teamwork (work together and building a spirit of cooperation)
- Equality, equity and fairness
- Mutual trust and respect
- Monitor police conduct and the implementation of visible policing;
- Oversee the effectiveness and efficiency of SAPS including receipt of reports on it;
- Initiate, assist and co-ordinate social crime prevention activities and mobilisation of resources;
- Ensure that community policing structures mobilise communities to support and participate in crime prevention activities;
- Enhance the deterrent effect of the criminal justice system by facilitating efficiency of the system;
- Public education and awareness programmes about crime and its prevention;
- Transport and traffic management;
- Revenue collection including vehicle licenses;
- Maintenance and construction of the provincial road network; and
- Security management for departmental buildings.